Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Side Crow Revolution

I've been locked up in our little yoga room for the past hour basically dedicated to crow and side crow. I've never felt as light as I'd like in crow, and often flash back to the time I fell straight onto my nose during TT and so spend the thirty seconds working up to it with some anxiety. However, I think I've stumbled upon a few nuances I've been missing.

In side crow, I've been approaching it with blocks under the hip that would be leaned into, so to speak. I bring my hands out to that side as well, so I'm starting out pretty smashed up. We did this once at a workshop in Boulder and others had great success and I wonder if I've been attached to this method hoping it would work for me. It doesn't! Just a few moments ago, out of nowhere, I thought, wait. Why don't I try this another way? I started as if I was coming into regular crow and then shifted my knees and pulled my core in tight, and found a tiny bit of freedom!

It's funny the ways you notice how you're thwarting your own success, getting into patterns or routines, and even stranger how much time can pass before you realize you're not benefiting from yourself. It's good to get out of your own way now and then.

1 comment:

zen muffin said...

i'm so cheering for you. keep us updated on your progress as a crow.