Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Kira's Sweet Vinyasa

Hedgehog demonstrating the safety-asana.


This morning was my first class with Kira since her "staycation." And it was good to be back! There was a slightly smaller group than normal, which always makes me feel more exposed, which leads to me trying harder. However, at Lulu Bandha's, 'trying harder' doesn't mean sweating more, it means softening.

The most radical thing that happened for me was the slumpy seated meditation. Kira suggested we sit "the way our mothers always told us not to." During the opening meditation I tried this but felt too strange and straightened up. I have accepted the meanings normally assigned to slumpiness-hiding, lethargy and depression. Oh, and office work.

But I have to admit that I don't entirely enjoy the stick-straight posture usually required for seated meditation. I never feel quite right or quite able to breathe.

So during closing meditation Kira offered the slumping idea again and I stayed in it. I rounded my back and let my head hang down. I felt a steady tug on the back of my neck where my scar is and thought 'hey, do-it-yourself scar-releasing bodywork!' The rest of my spine pressed pleasantly out and I felt safe and tucked away like a hedgehog in a ball. My mood was soft and warm. I felt like I was taking care of myself instead of trying to be something I'm not. Hedgehogs definitely know the value of safety.

Other observations:
  • worked on musika or mouse pose, which was adorable but difficult.
  • everything's better when done with the sacral belly