Sunday, June 27, 2010

Huang Mei Days

Man, it's a hot one. It's been raining on and off for about a week and half, and when it's not directly raining, the moisture hangs in the air like a thick, suffocating curtain. The locals call this season huang mei tian, or yellow mold days. In about three weeks, the rainiest part of the season will have passed, and it'll be time to set out shoes and coats to dry in the sun. I'm pretty much over it. 

This morning my friend Phoenix came over to do a yoga video. We switched on the air con, but it was still too muggy. The video was Kino MacGregor's Ashtanga practice, it's okay. We ended up just chatting on our mats and stretching mildly. My personal practice has been dampened with all the rain, the last few weeks I've been, to put it kindly, wilted. Most of my private peeps have left for their summer holidays, and since coming back from my own holiday, business is slow, or even bad. So I've been slow, and even bad. Instead of rolling out my mat, I've been rolling out dough: I've made coconut bread, banana bread, spinach/carrot/ginger muffins and countless attempts at frozen yogurt. I cooked a quiche and a loaf of brown bread. Not to mention the huge pot of popcorn I've been making every night for dinner. Summer so far is an eater. 

I don't mind saying I haven't been feeling much joy lately in practicing. It just feels like work. Teaching wise, the next big gig is a pre-natal class twice a week. I'm looking forward to that one, pre-natal yoga is a true pleasure, and a constant learning experience. If anyone out there is doing pre-natal or has in the past, I'd love to hear what you love doing in your classes. 

More to come soon. Ben just turned on "The Pacific", part four. Better go grab myself one of those spinach/carrot/ginger muffins. 

No comments: