Here's the recipe. Enjoy the funny notes from Maura.
AMAZING CARROT CAKE
Makes 1 - 3 layer cake (we did two 8x8 pans which worked perfectly)
Prep time - 30 minutes (who knows if those things are ever really accurate, especially if you're distractedly cooking with friends & wine!)
Cook time - 40 minutes
- 2 cups white flour
- 1 1/2 t. baking powder
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1 1/2 c sugar
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1/2 t. ground ginger (I think it would be fun to try it with freshly grated ginger... or freshly cut ginger chunks. Yum... ginger...)
- 2 c grated carrots (I think it could have even used more, if carroty carrot cake is your thing)
- 1 c chopped pineapple (we used canned, worked swimmingly)
- 1/2 c canola oil
- 1/4 c applesauce
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 c walnut pieces
- 1/4 non-dairy milk (we used vanilla almond milk - yummier and more creamy than soy/rice milk)
- 1 T. apple cider vinegar
- 1 t. vanilla
We mixed it up a tad with the spices (always add more spice to any recipe, right?!) - added cardamom... yum!
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly oil and flour your pans, tapping out excess flour
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, cinnamon (and cardamom!), ground ginger and salt
- In food processor (or by hand if you're cheap/ghetto like me and don't even have an electric hand-held mixer thing) combine pineapple, canola oil, applesauce, egg whites, non-dairy milk of choice, apple cider vinegar and vanilla, until well combined.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir and such
- Stir in carrots and walnuts
- Pour batter into prepared pan. BAKE!... until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, yadda yadda, about 40 minutes.
VEGAN CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
Makes about 2 cups
Prep time - 5 minutes
- 1/2 cup dairy-free soy margarine (Willow Run, Earth Balance, etc)
- 1 8-oz tub of dairy-free cream cheese (such as Tofutti, or that other brand we used whose name I always forget)
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- In a large mixing bowl (using an electric mixer if you're snazzy enough to own one), blend all the ingredients until creamy & fluffy - about 5 minutes
- Use mixture to frost stuff, like cakes! May be stored up to 1 day (or maybe longer) in an airtight container in the fridge, until ready to use.