Thursday, February 26, 2009

Yin and Yang

Hi. I'm sitting at this little community center out in Shunyi, the Yin Yang Community Center. It's in a courtyard out in the middle of the boonies, restructured and rendered into a lovely, quiet open space filled with books, couches, and a community kitchen. A very pleasant change to the usual clubhouse couch slumming I do between yoga classes out here. Sipping on some lemon tea and enjoying the faded sunlight filling the room from the glass ceiling.

The private sessions are evolving. I'm getting into my groove. Loosening up quite a bit and speaking more, practicing less. With the majority of the clients I teach lunge salutes, lunge salutes, warrior dance, triange, core strengthening/boat/bicycle sit ups, bridge, and a bunch of floor stuff like cobra, floor bow, happy baby, plow, etc etc. Nothing reinvented at all. We're working on balances slowly--this seems to be universally the tricky part for my peeps. They all fall over instantly. The vinyasas are happening at a glacial but lovely pace--we hold plank, we drop our knees and flip our feet, we inch worm into cobra, we sit back in childs. Then we pause for a breath. With a few I've been gradually picking up the pace during the vinyasas and the response is panting and sweating, but smiles. With the use of a strap tied around her elbows, one client is getting closer and closer to chatarunga. Last night I had her do 'chatarunga push-ups' just for fun; she got an inch and half from the floor and I said, now come back up! and she fell to the floor laughing.

I'm starting to have more fun. Relaxing quite a bit, getting back to the 'serving' part of teaching, not just the instruction. I've been asking my peeps to set intentions, or dedications before we begin, and it feels natural. I was afraid to speak for the first few weeks, like, what the fuck am I going to say? But it's all coming. It's all coming together nicely.

No comments: